Renfrewshire Council

Respite and short breaks for carers

Looking after someone who has difficulties because of long-term illness, disability or old age, can be very demanding. 

If you would like to have a regular break but are worried about leaving your loved one on their own, social work services and local providers including Renfrewshire Carers Centre can help by providing a respite period or a short break.

To use this service, the person you are looking after must be over 16 or a disabled child, and they must need regular help with their personal and social care. 

There may be a charge, depending on the financial circumstances of the person you care for. These issues will be fully-discussed with you during the assessment process. There is no charge for assessment.

For an assessment, you need to contact your local social work office and ask for an appointment to see a social worker. 

Caring for an older person?

If you live in Renfrewshire and care for someone who is over 65 years of age, then you can use our free service to take a break from caring. It can be for a few hours or a few days.

The service is free and flexible. Care workers step in so you can take some stress-free time off to recharge your batteries without having to worry about the person you look after.

Free support and advice is available to unpaid carers in Renfrewshire from local voluntary organisation Renfrewshire Carers Centre.  

Share this page: