Renfrewshire Council

Sending your child to school

We provide information for parents of children starting primary school, and for families moving in to the area. This information pack for parents and carers can be found in the Related Documents section.

For placing request applications for session beginning August 2021 our new policy on Admissions and Placing Requests is effective and you must complete Sending Your Child to School August 2021 version.

Entry to primary schools in the Renfrewshire Council area occurs once a year, at the start of the new session in August.

Only children whose fifth birthday falls between March 1 of that year and the last day of February of the following year will be automatically admitted to school.

Parents may make a request for early entry to school for a child whose fifth birthday falls after the appropriate latest date.

Parents may also make a placing request for their child to attend a primary school other than their catchment school. This process is explained in the 'Sending your child to school' available in the Related Documents section.

Register your infant for school session 2021/2022

Children who reach 5 years of age between 1 March 2021 and 28 February 2022 inclusive should be registered for education in their catchment school as follows:-

You must register your child in only one school, either the denominational or non-denominational school for your area. If you need information on schools for your area please telephone 0300 300 0170 or visit our website and search "find it on the map".

Registration will be live online during week commencing 2nd November to 9th November through the above website. For those unable to register online we request that you telephone your local catchment school to make an appointment to attend in person during these dates.

Parents/carers must provide satisfactory documentary evidence of the age of their child and that their family reside within the catchment area of the school. This evidence includes:

  • Child's full Birth Certificate
  • Most recent Council Tax Notice or if not currently resident in the property either a concluded missive or a signed and witnessed tenancy agreement/lease
  • Child Benefit Statement - In the event that a Child Benefit Statement is not available, a Driving Licence or a Bank Statement/utility bill showing transactions over the most recent 3 months and the applicant's address may be accepted.  Or If appropriate to current circumstances - Court Order / Looked After Child / Foster Carer document(s)
  • Roman Catholic Baptismal Certificate (if applicable)

The list above is not exhaustive and the Council retains the right to ask for further information when proof of residency is not satisfied.

Original documents must be produced upon request.

If you want your child to go to a different school you require to register at your catchment school and thereafter make a placing request. Placing Request Forms are available from our website above and search "Sending your child to school - Information Pack" under related documents or by telephoning 0300 300 0170 or your catchment school.

Starting a new school year or moving schools

This can be both an exciting and an anxious time for children. By knowing as much as you can about the school's arrangements, you can help your child to move on smoothly to the next stage in their education.

All schools have a handbook which is updated every year. It is a good source of information about the school and can be picked up from the school office.

Many of our schools have their own websites and you can find links to these in the primary and secondary school Related Articles. You can also find guidance about starting a new school year and other useful information on the parent zone Scotland website.

You can make a placing request for your child to attend a school other than their catchment school and information regarding this can be found in the "Sending your child to school - Information Pack" under related documents.

Due to the Scottish Government's decision to discontinue printing the 'Choosing a School' booklet in hard copy format you can now access this directly by visiting the Scottish Government website. The booklet will be reviewed annually by the Scottish Government.