Renfrewshire Council

Last reviewed: 17.45 Thursday 24 September


This webpage explains the changes we are making to our Licensing Services to help minimise the disruption caused to licence holders by the ongoing Coronavirus situation.

This guidance is mainly for current licence holders. Licence holders, including taxi and private hire car drivers, are reminded to follow Government advice on measures aimed at reducing the spread of Covid-19 within their premises or vehicles you can read more on the website: Coronavirus in Scotland; Coronavirus support for businesses in Scotland and Business and social distancing guidance.

Information on this page:

Taxi and private hire car licences

Renew or apply for taxi and private hire car licences

You can apply online for a new taxi or private hire car licence or driver's licence or to renew your existing licence.

Pay online when you apply and upload supporting documents. We'll check your application and email you a copy of the form to print, sign and return to us. 

Temporarily suspend your taxi or private hire car operator licence

If you normally operate a taxi or private hire car but don't want to do this just now, you can let us know that you have stopped operating, temporarily. This means that you can reduce your current level of insurance, while you are not using the vehicle.

To apply for a temporary cessation, email us at with the following details:

  • name of the Licence Holder
  • the Licence Number to which the request relates
  • the date that public hire or private hire is removed from the insurance, and
  • confirmation that the plates and stickers have been removed from the vehicle.

This information will be passed to Police Scotland. 

To reinstate the licence, email us at attaching proof of satisfactory insurance and the date that this insurance cover began.   When we've confirmed that we've received proof of adequate insurance, you can replace the plates and stickers on their vehicle. We'll let Police Scotland know.

Vehicle inspections

The inspection centre at Underwood Road, Paisley is open for taxi and private hire car testing. We appreciate your patience as we deal with the backlog of inspections. To help us catch up, we'll be allocating tests on a priority basis. Look at the table below for advice on when to book. There will also be emergency testing available and testing for anyone changing vehicles.

Opening times

Monday to Friday: 7.15am-7.15pm (last test 6.30pm). You must arrive on time for your test.

Booking a test

Please check the dates on the table below before booking a test so that you do not need to re-schedule.

Book a taxi or private hire car inspection

DateWhen to book
4-9 Aug 2020Book between these dates if your inspection was due in March 2020 and your licence has not been extended until June
10-16 Aug 2020Book between these dates if your inspection was due in April 2020 and your licence has not been extended until July
17-23 Aug 2020Book between these dates if your inspection was due in May 2020 and your licence has not been extended until August
24-30 Aug 2020Book between these dates if your inspection was due in June 2020 or if your licence was due for renewal in March 2020 but extended by us to June 2020
31 Aug 2020 onwardsBook from this date onwards if your inspection was due in July, August or September 2020 or if your renewal was due in April, May or June 2020 but extended by us to July, August or September 2020

If you are not sure when your test is due, contact

Safety procedures at the inspection centre

We've introduced new safety procedures in line with Scottish Government guidance:

  • you must drop off your vehicle alone and wear a face mask and gloves
  • wait with your vehicle until the tester asks you to leave it
  • maintain a 2m distance from the tester
  • the tester will ask you to wipe all high contact areas within the vehicle with an antibacterial wipe. You must clean your vehicle before the inspection. If it has not been cleaned, we will not be able to complete the test but you will still be charged the full inspection fee
  • when the tester asks you, please leave your vehicle and go to the workshop's waiting room. If you prefer, you can leave the centre and return to collect your vehicle within 45 minutes of the appointment time.
  • the tester will use single use personal protective equipment (PPE) which is changed after every vehicle test. They will use disposal steering wheel covers, and seat covering and will thoroughly wipe down all high contact areas before and after the inspection with antibacterial wipes.

Your vehicle

Your vehicle should be in a safe and road worthy condition when you bring it to us for inspection.  The test is to ensure that it meets licensing conditions, not to highlight repairs required. However, if there are obvious defects, for example to tyres or windscreen wipers, the vehicle will fail inspection and you will have to pay for the failed test and to re-apply.   

Access to Underwood Road

Traffic management restrictions are in place. You cannot turn right travelling east to west along Underwood Road. Please follow the traffic management signs in place.

Changing your vehicle

If your vehicle is due to reach the age limit referred to in your conditions of licence or you wish to change your vehicle, please get in touch with us for further advice by emailing before you buy a new vehicle.

Alcohol licences

If you are operating premises or organising events that include the sale or supply of alcohol, you must have a liquor licence. 

Our Customer Service Centre remains closed for in-person services but you can make an online payment for a variety of liquor licence application types. 

For details, please visit Apply for a liquor licence - forms and fees.

Food takeaway and delivery services

The Scottish Government has published guidance in relation to the relaxation of planning enforcement action which would allow public houses and restaurants to provide takeaway services on a temporary basis. 

Where premises are licensed to include off-sales of alcohol, the delivery of alcohol with food will be permitted during the period of the current restrictions, subject to compliance with the requirements of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 and the Licensing Board's alcohol delivery conditions - which can be found at Appendix III of the Board's Statement of Licensing Policy:

Statement of Licensing Policy 2018-2022 [248KB]

Personal Licence holder - training and renewal

Personal Licence holders are required to undergo refresher training every five years and to provide a copy of their training certificate to the Licensing Board.

If any Personal Licence holder is unable to provide evidence of the required refresher training for a reason related to Coronavirus, we will allow licence holders, under the terms of new temporary and emergency legislation, a three-month extension on the timescales to undertake their training and to submit their training certificate to the Licensing Board. This period can be extended further if required while this new legislation remains in force.

The new legislation also allows the Licensing section to accept a personal licence renewal application up until the day before that licence is due to expire, if it cannot be made within the normal time limit for a reason related to Coronavirus.

Licence holders who want more information on these requirements can email

Occasional licences

We are able to continue accepting applications for occasional licences for premises who are allowed to operate, to enable them to do so under 14 day licences.

You can submit an  Occasional licence application (download application form) [152KB]  by email to and you can make payments on MyAccount: Pay a licensing fee

Notification of change of designated premises manager

New legislation has extended the timescales to notify the Licensing team of a change of manager from 7 days to 28 days, and to lodge an application for variation of a manager from 6 weeks to 3 months.

You should contact us at if you are concerned that you may not be able to meet these extended time limits for a reason related to Coronavirus.

Provisional Premises Licences

Where you have been unable to confirm your provisional premises licence within the statutory 4 year period for a reason related to Coronavirus, you should apply for an extension to this period before it expires. The new legislation says that we must allow you an initial 6 months extension to the 4 year period to confirm your provisional premises licence.

Section 34 Transfer of Premises Licence

Applications for transfer which are made outwith the normal statutory 28 day period can now be accepted, in terms of the new legislation, where this is due to a reason related to Coronavirus.

We will continue to update this guidance as necessary. All other enquiries to the Licensing Section should be made by email to Due to the increased volume of enquiries, please be aware that it may take some time to respond.

Event licences

Rescheduled events

Application fees are non-refundable. However, if you have already been granted and issued with a licence and the event has subsequently been postponed to a new date, you will require to submit a further application for the rescheduled date - you should contact us in the first instance in relation to what fee may apply.

If your application has not as yet been granted and you wish the event to be changed to another date, please email with the details and any subsequent permissions.

Notifications for Public Processions or Public Charitable Collections

We are unable to accept any notifications for Public Processions or Public Charitable Collections at this time due to the restrictions on social gatherings.

Late hours catering licences

A late hours catering licence is needed for premises that sell food (either sit in or takeaway) after 11pm or before 5am. You can apply for a late hours catering licence, or renew your existing one, online.

Apply for or renew a late hours catering licence

Street trading licences

If you need to apply for a street trader licence, or renew your existing one, you can do this online.

Apply for or renew a street trader licence

Window cleaner licences

If you need to apply for a window cleaner's licence, or renew your existing one, you can do this online.

Apply for or renew a window cleaner licence