Renfrewshire Council

Local Housing Allowance - Housing Benefit for private tenants

If you are a tenant in private-rented accommodation and you claim Housing Benefit to cover all or some of your rents - the benefit you receive is called Local Housing Allowance.

This benefit will be frozen from April 2016 for four years, meaning that if private landlord's rents go up, the benefit to cover the rent will not.

What does this mean for me?

If you already have a private tenancy (this doesn't include council or housing association tenancies), this freeze means that if your landlord increases your rent, your Local Housing Allowance won't increase.

If this happens and your new rent level is higher than your Local Housing Allowance payment, you will have to pay the difference.

If you're not a private tenant but are looking to become one, before you sign a tenancy agreement, find out the maximum amount of benefit that can be awarded to cover the rent, based on the size of your household.