Renfrewshire Council

Former tenant rent arrears

How can I make sure I have no arrears when I move out of my home?

When you sign your tenancy termination document, we will tell you how much rent you owe, including the rent due up to the date your tenancy ends. We will check your rent account when you hand in your keys and tell you the final rent balance due to clear the account. You must have a clear rent account when you end your tenancy.

What do I need to do?

  • Give us four weeks' notice that you are giving up your home. If you fail to give us four weeks' notice (unless we have agreed otherwise) or you abandon your property, we will charge you rent for the full four-week notice period. You will also have lost the opportunity to discuss any repairs that still need to be done, and you are likely to be charged for these if the work needed was caused by you damaging the property.
  • Don't delay handing in your keys. If you do not hand in your keys by the termination date, you will have to pay extra rent. It is very important that you check when and where to return your keys to avoid this.
  • Make sure your Housing Benefit is correct. Remember - if you are moving from one Renfrewshire Council property to another, you must hand in the keys on the date agreed, as Housing Benefit can only be paid for the home you stay in and will not be paid for two homes unless there are special circumstances.

How can I repay my arrears

You can pay by:

You can also pay at your bank by setting up a direct debit or standing order, or by phoning our customer contact centre on 0300 300 0222 and selecting option 1.  You can also pay by phoning us on 0300 300 0300 (select the option for payments) - this service is available 24 hours a day. 

Payments can also be made at your local post office, or at rent Pay Point facilities located throughout local stores in Renfrewshire with your swipe card.

What action will Renfrewshire Council take to recover arrears?

We will pass your debt to our debtors section for recovery. If you fail to agree an arrangement to repay your debt, we will take legal action against you to recover the debt. This will lead to you being responsible for our costs.

When we take legal action and get a court order against you, we may make deductions from your wages or freeze your bank account.

We will also mention your debt in any reference we provide in relation to your tenancy, and your arrears may also have a negative effect on your credit rating.

Can I apply for another council tenancy if I owe money from a previous tenancy?

Tenancy debts you have after leaving your home can stop you from being given a Renfrewshire Council property in the future.  You should contact your former landlord and make repayment arrangements.

Please contact us if you want to discuss your situation and get some advice on telephone number 0800 085 9126 (Freephone. Calls to this number from most landlines are free but you may be charged if you use a mobile.  Always check with your provider first).