Renfrewshire Council

Russell Restored 2

Russell Institute

In the summer of 2017 Paisley's famous Russell Institute opened its doors as a Skills and Employability Hub following an extensive £5 million restoration.

Distinctive for its stone and bronze sculptures, the building was commissioned by Miss Agnes Russell to provide a child welfare clinic as a tribute to her two brothers.  It opened in 1927 and until 2011 when it closed, the Russell Institute was used as a health centre.  Renfrewshire Council secured funding from the Scottish Government through the Regeneration Capital Grant Fund, Historic Environment Scotland and its own resources to restore the building and bring it back into use. 

The category A listed building is one of Paisley's architectural treasures and its refurbishment and reuse has helped boost footfall in Paisley Town Centre.  The building is now home to Skills Development Scotland and the Council's Invest in Renfrewshire employability team.

Paisley Development Trust - a local group of volunteers dedicated to the regeneration of the town - was instrumental in the early stages of the project, successfully securing funding for an initial feasibility study which formed the basis for grant applications.

The building sits within the area of the completed THI/CARS scheme - a £3.5million built heritage regeneration programme which has improved a number of buildings and public realm in the Causeyside Street area of Paisley.  Further information on this programme can be found on the THI/CARS webpage.

Share this page: