Renfrewshire Council

Owing rent

If you are having problems paying your rent, there are several ways the council can help.

We want to make sure you get good advice so that you can manage your debt and keep your tenancy. 

We can:

  • give you advice on setting up a direct debit or a standing order with your bank.
  • assist with completing of Financial Statement highlighting your income and expenditure so that we can calculate affordable repayments in order to manage your debt.
  • help you complete housing benefit forms and advise you how much rent to pay.
  • give advice if your circumstances change. For example, if you change your job, if your income is reduced or if there is a change in your benefits.
  • give you advice so that you can keep your tenancy even if you have received a Notice of Proceedings for Recovery of Possession.
  • help you arrange direct deductions from your welfare benefits towards your arrears.
  • help refer you to money advice agencies to make sure you maximise your entitlement to the various benefits paid for by the Department for Work and Pensions.

We have a fund available called Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) that offers short-term financial support to residents who are receiving Housing Benefit and who are having difficulty meeting their housing costs.

Contact us today at one of the offices noted below, to see what we can do to help.