Renfrewshire Council

Building Warrant Process

The Building Warrant system can be complicated if you're unfamiliar with it or negotiating it for the first time. The section below should provide a simple overview.

Building warrants can be submitted through the portal and we would request that all payments are made online by debit or credit card as we have limited ability to process cheques. Applications that have previously been submitted via the portal will be processed as normal. If you have submitted a hardcopy application please speak to your case officer regarding converting this to an e-application.

More information is available in the Building Standards Customer Journey Guide (under related links).

Do I need a Building Warrant?

Not all types of work need a Warrant. There are certain types of buildings, services, fittings and equipment that are exempt. A complete list of 'exempt work' can be found in Schedule 1, Section 0 of the Technical Handbooks.

Procedures for obtaining a Warrant and submitting a completion certificate do not apply to certain types of work. Work which falls under Section 3, Section 0 does not need a Building Warrant if the work complies with building regulations.

A link to the Technical Handbooks can be found under related links.

How do I apply for a Building Warrant?

To apply, complete the form and return it to us with the correct fee. For domestic buildings (homes) please include two sets of plans. For non-domestic buildings (offices, business premises, etc.) please include three sets of plans. See guidance notes for information on the type of plans and information they should contain.

When applying we recommend working with an architect, architectural technologist or civil/structural engineer.


Building Warrant fees are set under Building (Scotland) Fee Regulations 2004. Fees are related to the "value of works". When calculating "value of works" normal market costs must be used. Building Standards will check to ensure the correct fee is being paid.

If altering or extending a home for a disabled person fees are set at zero. Fee relief relates specifically to works on an existing home as defined in Building Standards. It does not apply to disabled people in general or the conversion or build of a new home.

Fees are subject to discount when a certificate from an approved certifier of design has been submitted with the Building Warrant application. Or, when the intention to use a certifier of construction to support the completion certificate has been stated on the application form.

I have applied for my Building Warrant - what happens next?

Once a valid Building Warrant application has been made it will be registered. You will be given a reference number and allocated to a Building Standards Surveyor.

If the application meets building regulations it will be approved. If not, a report will be sent asking for addition information.

If you receive this report it is up to you to make necessary adjustments, revise the proposal and resubmit drawings and specifications. It will only be approved if compliant with regulations.

We aim to respond to most Building Warrant applications within 20 working days. All Building Warrant applications will be dealt with within 35 working days.

If your Building Warrant application is deemed invalid, we will write to you explaining why. This will contain advice on how to make a valid application.

My Building Warrant has been approved - what happens next?

You will receive an approval pack. This contains the Building Warrant, approved plans, a commencement of works from, a completion submission form and our construction compliance notification plan (CCNP). Please read these documents to understand what happens next and what is expected of you. NB if you are using an agent on your behalf, we will write to them.

Building Standards conduct site inspections and you need to notify us when relevant work has been completed. Our CCNP outlines stages of construction we wish to inspect. We should be notified three days in advance to allow time to conduct the inspection. If you fail to notify us disruptive surveys may take place further down the line.

When the work is finished a relevant person* must submit the completion certificate. In signing the completion certificate the relevant person is certifying the completed work meets building regulations.

Site inspections made by Building Standards help protect public interest but do not remove the relevant person's responsibility to ensure compliance. An agent can sign the completion certificate on the relevant person's behalf, but this does not remove their responsibility for compliance.

Building Warrants are valid for three years from the date granted. Applicants must finish work in that time or apply for an extension. Extensions are granted at the discretion of Building Standards.

* A relevant person is:

  • the owner, tenant or developer doing the work or conversion themselves; or
  • the owner, tenant or developer who has employed a builder to do the work for them; or
  • the owner, where the tenant, developer or builder has not submitted the certificate when they should have done so.