Renfrewshire Council

Street trading licences

You need a street trader's licence if you intend to sell, offer to sell or carry out a service paid for by any person in a public place. This includes selling from a vehicle, kiosk or moveable stall.

A licence is required for each individual involved in the activity. If you have employees they require to be licensed as a street trader also.

How do I apply for a licence?

An application pack with an application form, guidance notes and conditions of licence can be downloaded in the related content area of the website.

You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this document.

You can apply in person at our Customer Service Centre or post you application to us at the address below, with the appropriate fee and documents enclosed.

You must answer every question on the form. If a question is irrelevant, mark it as 'not applicable'.

What type of street trader licence do I need?

Fixed Stance If you are applying for a street trader licence in respect of a fixed stance you require to apply for a specific location.

Mobile If you are applying for a mobile street trader licence you must apply for a mobile street trader's licence. You require to state the area(s) in which you intend to trade. If you only propose to trade within one or two areas, please also specify the street names in those areas.
back to top

What documents do I need to apply for a licence?

The application must be accompanied by:

  • two coloured passport photographs (you must write your full name on the reverse of the photographs)
  • compliance certificate issued by Community Resources, if your business involves the sale of food


How much is the licence fee?

Information on fees for all licences can be found in the related content area of the website under civic application fees.


What criteria have to be met to apply for a licence?

Renfrewshire Council operate various policies in respect of street traders. Information can be obtained from the Civic Enforcement Officer

The main policies that would affect you when making your application are:-

  • Your proposed trading location must be more than 100 metres away from a shop selling similar goods.
  • If you intend to sell food or drink, you shall trade no closer than a distance of 500 metres from any entrance to any school at any time between the hours of 8am to 9am, 12 noon to 2pm and from 3pm to 5pm Monday to Fridays inclusive during school terms. You can access the maps showing the 500 metres exclusion zonesaround the schools here.


How long will my application take?

All applications made under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 must be considered within 3 months and a decision made within 9 months.

Who is consulted about my application?

A copy of your application will be sent to Police Scotland, Local Councillor, Community Councillor, Community Resources Section, Development and Housing Services, Education & Leisure and where the premises are within Paisley Town Centre the Town Centre Manager. They will carry out their own investigations and report back to the licensing section.

What happens if there if an objection or representation to my application?

If an objection or representation is received, the application must be considered at a meeting of the Regulatory Functions Board. You will be formally cited to attend the meeting and a copy of the letter will be sent out to you with the citation letter.

What conditions are attached to my licence?

The standard conditions of licence can be found in the Street Trader Pack in the related content area of the website. 

A copy of the conditions of licence for street traders applicable will be issued to you if your licence is granted. The council requires all licence holders to have a thorough understanding of these conditions and they should be kept as they form part of your licence.

Renfrewshire Council may attach additional conditions to the licence as it sees fit, with each application being dealt with on its own merits.

How long does the licence last for?

Applications for the grant of a licence are generally granted for a period of one year. Applications to renew an existing licence are normally granted for a two year period.


Change of vehicle

An application form requires to be completed when you change your vehicle during the period of your licence.  This can be found in the related content area of this page.


Share this page: