Renfrewshire Council

Free Early Learning and Childcare Places for Two Year Olds

Free early learning and childcare places are available for eligible two year olds who live in Renfrewshire.

All Scottish councils were due to provide 1140 hours of early learning and childcare to all three and four-year-olds and eligible two-year-olds by August 2020. In March the Scottish Government removed the legal duty on councils to do this. They have since accepted the impact of coronavirus means they don't expect this to be able to happen everywhere during the academic year 2020/21.

We can offer some reassurance to Renfrewshire parents - we are offering 1140 hours wherever we can and we will be able to offer those hours to the majority of children in local council-run, partner nurseries and childminders from August. In the places which can't do that for everyone, 1140 hours will be rolled out for all as soon as possible. These families will receive at least the legal minimum of 600 hours in the meantime.

Who can get the free early learning and childcare places?

To see if your child is eligible, please click on the eligibility link on the related links section.

When does your child become eligible for a free early learning and childcare place?

Children aged two are eligible to take up their funded place from the term after their birthday or from the term after their parents start receiving qualifying benefit:

  • Term 1 - children born March to August will be eligible from August term that year.
  • Term 2 - children born September to December will be eligible from January following their birthday.
  • Term 3 - children born January and February will be eligible from April following their birthday.

Once a child becomes eligible to take up their early learning and childcare place, they stay entitled to a place even if their parent's circumstances change.

Where can I apply for a place

Provision for two-year-olds is available at local authority early learning and childcare classes and centres or with an approved provider in the private or voluntary sector including identified childminders. If you click on their name in related articles it will take you to a page giving more information about them, such as opening times, the age range of children and where available, their website.

How to apply

You can apply for a place at a local authority early learning and childcare setting or funded provider using our online form.

Apply for a nursery place (online form)

For parents and carers without internet access, you can call your preferred nursery and speak to a member of staff who will help you complete the form. You will need to send in your documents to the nursery by post. We recommend recorded delivery for added security.

You will need to show proof of your address, your child's date of birth and the benefits you get when you apply.

Contact Renfrewshire Family Information Service for more information.